CDI Reno














Ready to Go. August 28th 2007




I decided at the start of the year to put a CDI on and get rid of the points, as I hate them. The Vespa points seem to be a bit touchy so along with the fact I can make my scooter a more reliable ride with a CDI, I finally took the plunge and got the parts. It was a long time between the initial idea and the actual job happening as I had been busy with my real job and could just never find the time. So right at the end of winter I decided to go the whole hog, do the bearings and seals and see what else was wrong with her along the way.
What did I find??

Lots of stuff that makes me wonder how the heck she was even running

The Nail that was attaching my right hand side handle bar to the inner throttle tube!



Old Clutch Cover had been epoxy glued where the threads had been stuffed up




The Stator Plate was shorting out on the inside of the flywheel where you see the exposed wire.


All Coked Up!


All sorts of wires where they shouldn't be!


The gasket on the top is what they should have been like, look at how much of each side port was being blocked!


Lots of wiring, lots of joins in lots of colours.
This, according the guy who sold me this scooter, is "New Wiring".
That's dirt coming out of the "New Loom"!!!


Cracked and rewelded crank



Naked! Engine Dropped.. Sept 10th 2007


Engine Out
Sept 11th 2007

Case Split




Engine is Stripped

Cleaned all over using a paint brush and petrol

Some minor case work, open up those ports! :)

September 27th 2007.


Before.... mark out the case and area to be cleaned out

Higgo goes a dremmeling

Vroom Vroom!!!
Now, lets see if it all goes back together!!


No comments:

Post a Comment